Saturday, September 20, 2014

Blog 2


I think that the John Adams video showed a part of liberty that I didn't really understand. It did not seem right that the one man should be able to represent a whole colony. The decisions they made were very quick and not thought about in depth. I also thought the congress was not entirely equal about giving the rights to people who get to be in congress. For example, there is not a single woman on the congress, so her views on politics are not addressed. “I desire you would Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors.” (Abigail Adams) This quote is from a letter from Abigail adams to her husband john adams addressing the fact that the congress is forgetting about the foundations that they have at home. Without women, men would not be able to complete their function. Even after addressing this, women were not given the rights to suffrage until a very long time. The misogyny was present long before Abigail Adams had addressed it. The Puritans who first came to American generally thought that men were better than women so they were given a higher status in the system. This is one of the main connections that I saw between American Studies and American Literature. The treatment of men and women were not equal then. Although women have gained many rights now, they are still given a lower pay than men even for the same job. Inequality is still alive even though it may not be addressed so prominently.

 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you pointed out about women's rights. This misogyny is still prevalent in our society today, and around the world. However, what you said about one man representing an entire colony is similar to what we have today in the Senate and House. One representative makes a decision on behalf of the entire group of people.

    ReplyDelete